Re: defadvice file-expand-wildcards ad-do-it value

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: defadvice file-expand-wildcards ad-do-it value
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 08:16:38 +1100

> sometimes returning nil is interpreted as the file name itself.

Yep, find-file in particular of course.

I'm a bit slow, but I finally understood the comments for the tramp case
and that the "(list name)" is to trick find-file.

I suppose the right thing would be if find-file didn't look at the
remote identifier part when considering whether there's wildcards, thus
allowing any chars at all there.  So where it has

    (string-match "[[*?]" filename)

instead perhaps something like, completely untested,

    (defun file-name-wildcards-p (filename)
      (string-match "[[*?]" filename
                    (length (or (file-remote-p filename)
                                "")))))

but probably with a check that the file-remote-p return is indeed a
prefix of the filename, if that's not quite mandatory.