Re: prompt has changed with an update

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: prompt has changed with an update
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2020 09:17:11 +0200

Thomas Walker Lynch <thomas.lynch@reasoningtechnology.com> writes:

> Hello,

Hi Thomas,

> Recently my prompt has changed on shells raised with Tramp.  I use
> dirtrack, so this messes up Emacs royally.
>
> For example, given this bit of code
>
>   (defun shell-make (dir buffer-name)
>     (let* (
>            (default-directory dir)
>            (buffer (get-buffer-create buffer-name))
>            )
>       (set-buffer buffer)
>       (shell buffer)
>       ))
>   (defun shell-root   () (interactive) (shell-make "/sudo::/root"
> "shell-root"))
>
> This is the bashrc file for root, which used to set the prompt:
>   export PS1='\n$(/usr/local/bin/Z) \u@\h§\w§\n# '
>
> but the prompt that now shows up after m-x shell-root :
>   /sudo:root@localhost.localdomain:/root #$
>
> I don't know where this latter prompt is coming from.
>
> Have I inadvertently messed something up, or is there some new setting
> with Tramp somewhere?   .. I am a bit of a script kitty when it comes
> to Emacs and Tramp ... so please excuse me if this is not a well
> formed question.  I don't get, for example, why setting the buffer
> name and calling a shell ends up calling ssh in the first place.
>
> Thanks for your comments on this.

Thanks for the report. I need more data for analysis, though.

- Which Emacs/Tramp version are you using? The Tramp version info is
  needed only in case you don't use the built-in Tramp.

- Have you upgraded Emacs and/or Tramp recently?

- Since I don't use dirtrack myself, could you please give me a recipe
  for analysis? Please start with "emacs -Q", and describe all steps
  (including activating dirtrack) you apply. What do you see, and what
  do you expect instead?

> Thomas

Best regards, Michael.