Re: prompt has changed with an update

From: Thomas Walker Lynch
Subject: Re: prompt has changed with an update
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 18:15:51 +0200

On Mon, Sep 7, 2020 at 9:17 AM Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> wrote:
Thomas Walker Lynch <thomas.lynch@reasoningtechnology.com> writes:

> Hello,

Hi Thomas,

> Recently my prompt has changed on shells raised with Tramp.  I use
> dirtrack, so this messes up Emacs royally.

Thanks for the report. I need more data for analysis, though.

- Which Emacs/Tramp version are you using? The Tramp version info is
  needed only in case you don't use the built-in Tramp.

GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.21, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2020-08-20

- Have you upgraded Emacs and/or Tramp recently?

This is on Fedora 32,  dnf update just today.

- Since I don't use dirtrack myself, could you please give me a recipe
  for analysis? Please start with "emacs -Q",

Yes it has the same behavior with emacs -Q

Here is what the erroneous prompt looks like:
/sudo:root@localhost.localdomain:/root/ #$

This is what the prompt should look like:
2020-09-23T15:53:09Z root@localhost§/home/morpheus§

Yes that is a two line  prompt.  Makes for reading transcripts much easer.

and describe all steps
  (including activating dirtrack) you apply. What do you see, and what
  do you expect instead?

Please find attached a reduced dot_emacs_test,  and dot_bashrc_test files that also display the problem.

Attached is a .emacs file that exhibits the problem.  There are sections for tramp and dirtrack configuration.
dirtrack is not important here, the question is about the prompt not being set.

steps:
1.  make dot_bashrc_test the .bashrc for root
2.  make dot_emacs_test the .emacs for user opening emacs
3.  run emacs
4.  m-x  shell-root

After step 4 the prompt will appear erroneously as noted above when emacs -Q was used.  Dirtrack will not be able to find it (and my transcript records will be messed up due to not having the UTC time stamps LOL)

Note, this exact same thing happens when using tramp to open a remote shell.  Here is the erroneous prompt I get on my server when opening a remote shell:

/ssh:thomas_lynch@server:/home/thomas_lynch #$

That is a regular user.  Again the prompt in the bashrc files was ignored, dirtrack is messed up and no timestamps.

This might matter ..  a year or two ago I reported a sudo security bug because scripts may be injected through an inherited prompt.  It is conceivable that the prompt behavior going through sudo has changed.  But this does not apply here because the prompt is set in the .bashrc and thus is set by the process after it is already the other user.  This is not an inherited prompt.  Unless they killed the prompt setting altogether.

Thanks Michael et al.  I look forward to your reply, and apologize in advance if I've done something stupid here.  Though gosh, it did work.  I used it often, prompt was correct from the .bashrc and dirtrack worked etc.