Re: tramp access to ssh agent

From: GUEZ Lionel
Subject: Re: tramp access to ssh agent
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 16:00:36 +0200

Hello. Thank you for your answer.

On Sun, 16 Oct 2022 20:45:28 +0200
Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> wrote:

> I'm not aware that Tramp (or Emacs in general) is fiddling with
> this. The SSH agent is found by the environment variable
> SSH_AUTH_SOCK I believe, which is /run/user/1000/keyring/ssh in my
> local environment (Fedora 16). Can you check that this env variable
> is set in case it works for you, and it is not set when it doesn't
> work? You might check the Lisp variable `process-environment', which
> contains all such variables.

Indeed, when it works :

getenv SSH_AUTH_SOCK

returns:

/run/user/1000/keyring/ssh

and when it does not work, SSH_AUTH_SOCK is not in process-environment.

> Another difference between Emacs 26 and 27 is, that Tramp saves
> validated passwords / passphrases. Does Emacs ask you to save the
> passphrase? Is there an entry in ~/.authinfo.gpg (or whatever you use
> for auth-sources), which is related to the passphrase?

Emacs never asks me to save the passphrase. I do not have a file
~/.authinfo.gpg. I have never used auth-sources.

--
Regards,

Lionel GUEZ
Laboratoire de météorologie dynamique