Re: GNU Prolog 1.3.1 is released

From: Benjamin L . Russell
Subject: Re: GNU Prolog 1.3.1 is released
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 14:53:20 +0900

How about something similar to one of the following:

PowerLoom? Knowledge Representation & Reasoning System (see the logo):
http://www.isi.edu/isd/LOOM/PowerLoom/

The above-mentioned logo is also used on the following Prolog-related
page:

Prolog-style `append':
http://www.isi.edu/isd/LOOM/PowerLoom/documentation/examples/append.html

Another alternative is the following jigsaw puzzle logo, used at one
site for a course in formal logic:

CSC Courses: Formal Logic (see the logo):
http://www.personal.ceu.hu/comp/logics.htm

(It seems that logos using either some variation of a "P" (for
"Prolog") or a cluster of four interlocking jigsaw pieces, possibly
each representing a different Prolog-related theme, similarly to the
following, would be a possibility:

What Is Critical Thinking?:
http://www.control-z.com/pgs/what_is_critical_thinking.html
)

I think that GNU Prolog needs a logo.  Why not hold a logo
competition, similar to the following recently held for another
functional programming language:

http://www.haskell.org/logos/poll.html

using the Condorcet Internet Voting Service:

Condorcet Internet Voting Service:
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/w8/~andru/civs/rp.html

We could invite participants to submit entries, and use the Condorcet
method (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condorcet_method), to allow
each voter to rank all entries in order of preference, in order to
choose the "candidate who would beat each of the other candidates in a
run-off election, if such a candidate exists."  This method has the
advantage of eventually choosing a candidate who is most universally
favored by all voters, even if the candidate is not ranked in first
place by any voter, since all voters rank all candidates.  The
Concorcet method was recently used in the above-mentioned logo
competition to choose a logo for a certain functional programming
language.

-- Benjamin L. Russell

On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 14:21:21 +0200, Daniel Diaz
<address@hidden> wrote:

>No logo has been designed (I'm not good for this ;-)). All suggestions
>are welcome !
>
>Daniel
>
>Benjamin L. Russell a ecrit :
>> Is a representative logo available for the Windows version of GNU
>> Prolog 1.3.1?
>>
>> -- Benjamin L. Russell

http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
-- Matsuo Basho^