Re: GNU Prolog Logo

From: Benjamin L . Russell
Subject: Re: GNU Prolog Logo
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 16:17:53 +0900

Last night, I thought about a logo for GNU Prolog, and came up with
the following design:

1. Consider the present application logo for GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (see
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cd/Emacs-icon-48x48.png).

2. Edit the cursive 'E' in the logo, and change it to the 'P' in
Zapfino font printed on line 4 of page 10 of the following online
paper:

"There is no end: Omega and Zapfino" (article on Zapfino which
includes comparison of typed text with and without ligatures as a
flipbook)
http://www.tug.org/TUGboat/Articles/tb24-2/tb77adams.pdf

3. Use this design as the new logo for GNU Prolog.

Since I'm not a graphics designer, it would be difficult to use
graphics design software to create the desired image.

Could somebody on this mailing list who is familiar with graphic
design possibly edit and post this logo on this mailing list?  I think
it could possibly be a good counterpart to the cursive 'E' used in the
logo for GNU Emacs.  This logo would be useful in symbolizing GNU
Prolog, especially on Windows installations, and make the installation
seem more professional, especially for Windows users.

-- Benjamin L. Russell

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 21:37:53 +0900, Benjamin L. Russell
<address@hidden> wrote:

>Actually, although I have participated in a logo election using the
>Condorcet Internet Voting Service, I wasn't responsible for setting it
>up.  However, I would assume that you could probably use it just by
>following the instructions at the following Web site:
>
>Condorcet Internet Voting Service: Create a New Poll
>http://www.cs.cornell.edu/w8/~andru/civs/civs_create.html
>
>For more information, see the following Web site:
>
>Condorcet Internet Voting Service
>http://www.cs.cornell.edu/andru/civs.html
>
>-- Benjamin L. Russell
>
>On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 10:03:33 +0200, Daniel Diaz
><address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I agree with Benjamin GNU Prolog deserves a nice logo !
>>Joel thank you for your proposition. I'm obviously interested. Benjamin
>>proposed the Condorcet  voting service. I don't know it but it seems to
>>provide what we need. Joel can you investigate this solution (contacting
>>Benjamin who maybe knows it) ?
>>
>>Thank you
>>
>>Daniel
>>
>>Joel Bender a ecrit :
>>> Prologians,

>>> No promises, but I'm interested enough in participating that I am
>>> investigating providing it.

>>> How about a form that you can upload a proposal which would consist of
>>> a set of images, i.e., GIF, PNG, SVG, etc.  You would also enter your
>>> email address at the top of the form.  After clicking 'submit' you
>>> would be sent an email message confirming your submission with a
>>> hyperlink back to 'approve' it.
>>>
>>> The server would provide a page of images to click on.  Clicking on an
>>> image would vote for it, with the same email round trip to confirm the
>>> vote and make sure people aren't spamming votes.
>>>
>>> The Condorcet system looks interesting, and I will follow up with
>>> Andrew Myers on the implementation provided by the CS department (I'm
>>> in a different department).
>>>

>>> Joel
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
-- Matsuo Basho^