[Wesnoth-dev] Sounds

From: Susanna Björverud
Subject: [Wesnoth-dev] Sounds
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:41:52 +0100

Hej allesammans,

I recently did a survey of the sounds used (by grepping on .wav in the datadir) in Wesnoth, and found some references to non-existing sounds. These I have replaced with the sound that I think they were intended to refer to.

However, there are some sound files in sounds/ that are never used, at least not in the datadir. Some of them are used by src, f ex when joining the mp lobby and such.:
arrive.wav
bell.wav
eagle.wav
groan-strong.wav
heal.wav (used AFAIK)
leave.wav (used AFAIK)
pistol.wav
receive.wav (used AFAIK)
squishy-miss.wav (perhaps not used because not very good?)
squishy-strike.wav (perhaps not used because not very good?)
sword-clang.wav

I then took a look at the missing sounds, and IMO there are some existing sounds that could be used in some places. I made a list, but IMO it got too long to include in a mail, so I put it here (note only attack sounds surveyed so far): http://web.telia.com/~u35111888/wesnoth/sounds.html

Sum up of suggestions: (there are others too, please see list)
Use sword-swish.wav for all swords (including baneblades) and axes. Also assume that the berserkers use axes, and use sword-swish.wav there too. Use hiss.wav (or possibly big-hiss.wav) for all water/ink spraying attacks
Use eagle.wav for the gryphons claws-attacks
Use magicmissile for all ranged magic attacks
Do not use any sound for all touch attacks
Use arrow-hit.wav and arrow-miss.wav for thorns (or possibly dart.wav, but a bit too metallic IMO)

Most needed sounds:
Spear being used a close range, could also be used for pike and halberd.
 Trident
fangs - not sure if same could be used for all the various units using a fangs-attack, but perhaps some sort of feral snarl?
 Sound for net/gossamer/entangle/ensnare

If I can find the energy, I will look at the get_hit_sounds too *smile*
/Sanna