Fwd: [Wesnoth-dev] Sounds

From: Susanna Björverud
Subject: Fwd: [Wesnoth-dev] Sounds
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 23:22:25 +0100

Vidarebefordrat brev:

Från: Asa Swain <address@hidden>
Datum: den 14 februari 2005 01.24.31 MET
Till: Susanna Björverud <address@hidden>
Ämne: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Sounds

Susanna,
    This sounds awesome. Wesnoth has always been weak
in sounds. Adding some variety so not all unit use the
same sounds would be great. Keep up the good work.

-Asa (Quartex)

--- Susanna Björverud <address@hidden>
wrote:

Hej allesammans,

I recently did a survey of the sounds used (by
grepping on .wav in the
datadir) in Wesnoth, and found some references to
non-existing sounds.
These I have replaced with the sound that I think
they were intended to
refer to.

However, there are some sound files in sounds/ that
are never used, at
least not in the datadir. Some of them are used by
src, f ex when
joining the mp lobby and such.:
arrive.wav
bell.wav
eagle.wav
groan-strong.wav
heal.wav (used AFAIK)
leave.wav (used AFAIK)
pistol.wav
receive.wav (used AFAIK)
squishy-miss.wav (perhaps not used because not very
good?)
squishy-strike.wav (perhaps not used because not
very good?)
sword-clang.wav

I then took a look at the missing sounds, and IMO
there are some
existing sounds that could be used in some places.
I made a list, but IMO it got too long to include in
a mail, so I put
it here (note only attack sounds surveyed so far):
http://web.telia.com/~u35111888/wesnoth/sounds.html

Sum up of suggestions: (there are others too, please
see list)
Use sword-swish.wav for all swords (including
baneblades) and axes.
Also assume that the berserkers use axes, and use
sword-swish.wav there
too.
Use hiss.wav (or possibly big-hiss.wav) for all
water/ink spraying
attacks
Use eagle.wav for the gryphons claws-attacks
Use magicmissile for all ranged magic attacks
Do not use any sound for all touch attacks
Use arrow-hit.wav and arrow-miss.wav for thorns (or
possibly dart.wav,
but a bit too metallic IMO)

Most needed sounds:
  Spear being used a close range, could also be used
for pike and
halberd.
  Trident
  fangs - not sure if same could be used for all the
various units using
a fangs-attack, but perhaps some sort of feral
snarl?
  Sound for net/gossamer/entangle/ensnare

If I can find the energy, I will look at the
get_hit_sounds too *smile*
/Sanna