Fwd: [Wesnoth-dev] Ordering of attacks

From: Susanna Björverud
Subject: Fwd: [Wesnoth-dev] Ordering of attacks
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 23:22:06 +0100

Vidarebefordrat brev:

Från: Joseph Simmons <address@hidden>
Datum: den 15 februari 2005 23.12.09 MET
Till: Susanna Björverud <address@hidden>
Ämne: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Ordering of attacks

Susanna Björverud wrote:

Hej allesammans,

While going through unit files looking for missing sounds, I found that some units, like the Giant Mudcrawler, have their ranged attack listed before their melee attack in the unit file, and consequently in the attack choice dialog.

It is my intuition that most units list their melee attacks first, and their ranged attacks last. This might be wrong, I have done no survey of it.

What is your opinion on this? Should we have guidelines that melee attacks should precede ranged attacks, or should we leave it to the discretion of whomever defines the unit which to list first?

/Sanna

We should probably set a standard one way or the other. Two two possibilities seem to be "melee always first, ranged second" or "whichever is more powerful goes first". Leaving it to the discretion of the unit designer introduces inconsistency that would probably be confusing to players.

And I seem to recall there being a discussion on this many months ago on the forums, where it was said definitely that melee should always go first. In the very beginning of wesnoth, it selected the first on the list to attack with, so people who just attacked and clicked quickly through the dialogue got a raw deal when using ranged units. And there was also, IIRC, a problem with the AI using ranged attacks if they were not listed first. But that was fixed, so it is no longer necessary to list the ranged attack first.

In short, the giant mudcrawler should probably be changed to fit the rest of the units. It was probably just a mistake that got it where it was,
or a relic from when it was not specified.

-turin

Mvh Susanna Björverud, inst. f. östasiatiska språk
address@hidden