Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Toward a modular Wesnoth

From: Yann Dirson
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Toward a modular Wesnoth
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:25:39 +0100

On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 01:25:31AM +0100, Guillaume Melquiond wrote:
> There would be one gettext domain by package, but there wouldn't be
> the textdomain stack currently implemented in Wesnoth anymore. Maybe
> you didn't play the CVS version thursday and friday, but you would
> have seen that adding one single textdomain tag to the editor theme
> broke almost the entire translation of the game. I don't want to see
> such side effects anymore.

At 1st glance, it seems possible to have a textdomain=... clause in
the index.cfg file.  But we would probably have to extend
Zipios::CollectionCollection with a method returning the collection
member from which a member (known through its ConstEntryPointer) comes
from.

But thinking more about it, I am not sure it is possible to get rid of
the textdomain stack.

Let's take the example of a campaign that ships a modified wml version
of a standard unit.  For example, if this [unit] block is in the
package textdomain, translations have to be duplicated from the
original textdomain, which may not be a good idea.

Just adding a textdomain tag for this [unit] would allow to get the
standard translation.  OTOH, if the original message is changed, the
copy loses its translation, even though it has not changed itself.

A better solution would be that the new unit be defined as a
modification of the original, just specifying the fields that need to
be changed.  Then we have neither of those problems (but that was just
a single problem, there may be other unforeseen ones).

--
Yann Dirson    <address@hidden> |
Debian-related: <address@hidden> |   Support Debian GNU/Linux:
     http://ydirson.free.fr/        | Check <http://www.debian.org/>