Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Toward a modular Wesnoth

From: Yann Dirson
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Toward a modular Wesnoth
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 20:47:05 +0100

On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 07:12:08PM +0100, Guillaume Melquiond wrote:
> I already sent a mail about my thoughts on packaging a modular
> Wesnoth.

While we're at it, it may be good to define what modules to make from
the current wesnoth.  This is needed because of, for example, the need
to move terrain types out of the wesnoth textdomain, because the
editor needs them.

Here are my rough thoughts on the subject:

  wesnoth-core-engine

        Things that are absolutely necessary for any wesnoth app
        (currently mostly client, server, editor).

  wesnoth-gui-engine

        Part of the engine that handles the display.  Stuff possible
        to use in any graphical wesnoth app (eg. client, editor).
        Current wesnoth-lib textdomain is a subset of this.

  wesnoth-standard-world

        All that defines the laws of the world our standard units live
        in: terrains, schedules.

        That would still allow people to write new games by providing
        only their own set of units (most likely to happen), but
        people could also write a completely different game on the
        same engine.

  wesnoth-standard-units

        You know what they are - depends on wesnoth-standard-world.

  wesnoth-client

        Mostly includes the game client and its theme, tips, maybe the mp
        maps (until the mp support in the engine gets modularized if
        that happens), and maybe a couple of other data files.

        Depends on mostly everything above.

  wesnoth-editor, wesnoth-server

        Left as an exercise to the reader

Does it seem reasonable to any of you ?

The reason why I mention this now, is that moving the terrain names
into another textdomain can be problematic - I guess noone wants to
add textdomain=wesnoth-lib to all and every [terrain] - and it looks
like a good moment to discuss what belongs to what before fixing this
issue in a way that would prove wrong afterwards.

Whereas the planned package system could help, it is not there yet :)

--
Yann Dirson    <address@hidden> |
Debian-related: <address@hidden> |   Support Debian GNU/Linux:
     http://ydirson.free.fr/        | Check <http://www.debian.org/>