[Wesnoth-dev] Racial Traits

From: James Barton
Subject: [Wesnoth-dev] Racial Traits
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 23:35:47 -0500

Dave's suggestions for Loyal got me thinking.

Traits are, in my perception, one of the most popular features in Wesnoth. People love the variety they add to units (even as they agonise over the best unit/trait combinations), and are constantly proposing new traits. Unfortunately, balancing traits is a difficult business, and Loyal, while fun, proved a little unbalancing.

However, people may object to it being taken out, as it decreases the number of traits any particular unit can have back to four. Dave suggested adding a "Wise" trait for Mages, and this might help. What I believe would help even more would be the inclusion of one unique trait for each race. The following are my suggested race-specific traits for the main races.

Elves: "Accurate" (+1 Ranged Damage)
Humans: "Brave" (Eliminates 25% Night Penalty) [Only available to Lawful Humans, clearly, but that is most of them] Orcs: "Fearsome" (Increases Night Bonus to 50%) [Or a more appropriate figure]
Undead: None (They have no traits!)
Dwarves: Not a clue
All others are "minor races" and would not require their own unique trait.

Unfortunately, this is a coding task, and I can't do code. However, I do believe that it offers increased diversity without decreasing balance.

James