Re: [Wesnoth-dev] The problem with Knalgans....

From: Richard Kettering
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] The problem with Knalgans....
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 01:26:18 -0600

On Mar 1, 2005, at 12:15 AM, James Spencer wrote:
A number of things.

I believe I've hit a raw nerve, my apologies to the list.
I've responded to james personally.

I would like to express that I think, in order to NOT DRIVE AWAY ANOTHER ARTIST, it might be nice to rightfully reward Shadow by using the art he has made for the game.
It is some of his best work yet.

This is a matter of technicality - certain units are put in the standard distro, such as the "fire dragon" or "giant spider" for a number of reasons. One of the foremost, is that people believe that not only is the unit useful for the campaign it is used in, but there is a strong chance it might be useful in another campaign. A good example of such a thing happening would be Quartex's use of the Mudcrawlers and Scorpions. We've had other desert things made before, which I'm sure Quartex would have loved to have used. Those died in the forum crash, and even neo lost most of his when he switched his own computer.

I am of the opinion that the current system of wiki/forum/campaign server works very poorly for units, and unit graphics. It only works for those willing to do a lot of work to find things and piece them together - James Spencer is one such example, so is Joseph Simmons, so am I.

I am of the opinion that if we take well-drawn, animated units and put them in the game, people will find a use for them. This is where the undead (IIRC, francisco just "felt like" making them, and Dave said "sure"), the drakes, the saurians, and a great many other units came from.

We are starved for art. I've worked, enduring many sleepless nights in making more. I can't do it alone, and I think we need to accept anything good, because that will encourage an artist to keep working on the project.

I criticise people's "mindset", because a certain attitude like this drove one of our best artists away from the project. If people make good art, we should do everything to encourage its use, because THAT is what we pay our artists with: the satisfaction of making something and seeing it put to good use. If we decline to use it, we should have a damn good reason for doing so.