Re: [Wesnoth-dev] The problem with Knalgans....

From: Richard Kettering
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] The problem with Knalgans....
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 04:25:27 -0600

On Mar 1, 2005, at 2:49 AM, Susanna Björverud wrote:
Hej allesammans,

And old truth that does deserve to be repeated yet again is: NOT EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE MAINLINE. (Sorry for shouting)

If the forum/wiki etc are considered unsatisfactory for storing image sets for units, then I would much rather see an extension to the campaign server (and I am not even sure it needs to be extended) to be able to upload unit repositories, either with or without stats. For the Dwarvish Runemaster line to be available to all campaign devs, I guess all that is needed is an unplayable mini-campaign featuring only these units to be uploaded to the campaign server, with a name clearly specifying it is a unit rep. not a playable campaign. If I am wrong, and this is not possible, tell me so.

This would be better suited to Dave's proposed Content Server, or to the forum, or to an FTP site people could upload this stuff to. Using the campaign server for this purpose is a bit unwieldy, though possible.

As for balancing _races_, which is what I take 'making Classic balanced' means, I thought it had long been decided that this is not something we intend to do, that factions should be balanced, but not races, and that Classic era is more or less a cave-in for demands from players wanting to play another kind of game than the one most of us wants to play. If the existance of the classic era yet again brings forth claims to make races balanced, I vote for the exclusion of the Classic era from mainline Wesnoth. If there are enough players that want to play by race, then they are most free to create such an era themselves.

The point I am making is that the different Eras exist to facilitate the playing of games that only change the units in a faction. Classic doesn't do any harm by being in mainline, nor does a pure racial era. It's a tiny little text file, and it doesn't affect anything in the other eras.

I've tried to state this before, but people keep trying to wind this back into the "making all factions the same" argument.

I do not advocate making factions/races which each contain analogous units. I do advocate factions which have an equal capability to beat any other faction in a multi or single player game, given a symmetrical distribution of/access to resources.

I think that a player should not be at a disadvantage simply because of which side he/she chose. This is the design methodology we have followed for the Default era, and people have done a good job there.

In campaigns, it is often necessary, for storyline reasons, to pit a player against units of ONLY a certain race. For example, in HttT, the player faces several enemy sides consisting of only trolls inside the cave. It would be to our advantage to be able to do something other than just giving them a strong economic advantage, or at least I think so.

Different units, which do not currently exist, would facilitate this. They do not need to be used in default. In fact, they would insulate default from changes by allowing races in another era to balance themselves by including a unit that does not otherwise exist.