Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Leaving for some days

From: Richard Kettering
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Leaving for some days
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 01:11:00 -0500

I assume you mean something to promote the game, or whatnot. Proper promotion of wesnoth would entail some of the following: images suitable for desktop pictures ("wallpapers", I think, is the term MS coined for them), or printable posters.

Posters could be in a pamphlet format, with translatable text describing the game. To demonstrate what I'm talking about with regards to desktops, one can look at: http://fireemblem.gameboy.com/gba/launch/media/index.jsp

Of course, we'd kinda have those by now if I had finished proper versions of the unit portraits. :( It's not like anyone else on our actual team has come up with anything close to what I've done, save perhaps Jason Lutes, but my work so far is not yet professional enough for this. It is darned close - when I finish the current Li'sar and Kalenz images, they will be.

What is aggravating is that it takes me something like 30 hours or so to finish a single, full-body image. I compare myself to certain, far-above-average webcomic authors (machall.com applegeeks.com alpha-shade.com) - they take about a week of free-time work to produce something amounting to about 1.5x-2x the product. Thus, my speed on these is a bit slow, though I've only recently come up with the techniques which give my work in this style a decent, professional look. If I hadn't screwed up some structure work on the Kalenz image, the speed would have been much faster than the Li'sar image, which is a comforting improvement on only the second try with a technique.

So ...
I guess I'll just try harder. ;_;

(Also, I should mail the list with what I think are goals for 1.0, in the graphical dept. I'm loathe to heavily promote the game until certain graphical things are fixed, like the logo and title image - fortunately these are all things that can be done after a code/ text-1.0, meaning that nothing else depends on them getting done.)