Re: [XBoard-devel] Windows Installer

From: Mark Ioli
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Windows Installer
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:26:38 -0800

One more question regarding the behavior of the uninstaller:

Right now the uninstaller I created forceably deletes the install directory, as opposed to only removing the same files it had installed and attempting to delete the directory. Almost always there are user created files that are still in the install directory, so the directory deletion fails. This is pretty standard for the Install Shield installer. Should we continue this or just completely clobber the install directory? I have the initial screen of the uninstaller giving a message in caps indicating what will happen, and to remove any files they may want to keep before uninstalling. For me when I uninstall something I want it to really clean up after itself, not leave anything behind. But some people might expect the "directory deletion fails if user files present" behavior. So I just thought I'd see what the concensus was, I can do it either way.

Mark