Re: [XBoard-devel] Re: xboard/winboard maintenance

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Re: xboard/winboard maintenance
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 17:25:38 -0500

    Our main problem right now is one contributor who expressed his
    willingness to put his code in the public domain a few years ago, and
    started the FSF paperwork, but could not get his employer to sign the
    disclaimer.  Things stalled there.  Arun is trying to get them restarted.

Perhaps there is some simpler form the employer could sign if they
refuse the standard one.  address@hidden might be able to help, if the
company's objections are coherent and not just "we refuse to sign anything".

    I don't have any objection to switching to GPLv3.  What's GPLv3+?  If
    that means "v3 or any later version",

That's exactly what it means.

    that's fine with me too.  IIRC the existing code has the standard
    wording allowing "v2 or any later version".

Great.  You can just change the 2's to 3's, or you can replace the
current notice with the one at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html,
which has the advantage of no longer specifying the FSF's physical
address :).

    Someone would just have to do the edits.

Please ...

Glad to know about all the news.

Thanks,
karl