Re: [XBoard-devel] Polyglot 2.0

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Polyglot 2.0
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 17:55:52 -0700

Hi

Eric wrote:
> >I'm not in favor of that.  First, the major version change is not
> >appropriate.  Second, I strongly recommend not using a customized
> >polyglot.[...]
>
> The problem is that almost all Polyglot versions that are around do
> not support the extensions of WB protocol offered by 4.4.0.

My take on this would be to supply a patch for polyglot along with the source
code and perhaps a new pre-compiled polyglot with that patch with the installer
along with a note in the README or so...

The best would be to add those changes upstream, but as I understand it HGM
was/is trying to do just that, but for some reason or the other the author of
polyglot doesn't want to add them.

I also think that releasing a new version number has lots of problems
associated with it and is better to be avoided.

ARUN