Re: [XBoard-devel] Installer

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Installer
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 10:42:31 +0200

I don't understand. Logically, focusing on winboard would be smaller than including extra stuff. That's what I suggested.

Nothing of that is mystery or secret. The sizes of each file pr folder can be easily viewed. I guess the thing to understand was that the 4.2.7 installer of coure did not focus on WinBoard at all. It was a distribution package for GNU Chess and Crafty, with WinBoard included as a tiny add-on.
Each of these engines was about 4 times the size of WinBoard.

IMO focusing on WB means distributing a bare winboard.exe. We can do that, but I see no reason
why we should not offer a pre-installed version too.

That's fine. Let them get that from something like your Gold Pack while the winboard project focuses exclusively on winboard. I don't think it's our job to decide what people should run with winboard. The winboard project should be about improving winboard, and that's it.

OK, let's try to apply some logic here:
Are you against including timestamp.exe and timeseal.exe in the main distribution vehicle for WinBoard? If not, what exactly is your reason for wanting them in? As you remarked, they are closed source, non-GNU, non-GPL. Now if you don't have a reason and don't want them in at all, fine, you are a bare winboard.exe customer. But I can assure you, they make up only a very small fraction of the Windows users. If you do have a reason, then explain me why that reason does not equally apply to Polyglot? At least Polyglot is open source and GPL, unlike timestap and timeseal. OK, so Polyglot is not strictly needed by people that want to play against an engine, because they can settle for a second-rate engine that natively uses WB protocol, in stead of the one of their choice. But neither are timestamp and timeseal essential for playing on an ICS. Just let people play without them and suffer a bit of lag, big deal. If it means they cannot do blitz, let them play longer TC. They won't mind that nearly as much as someone wanting to use Rybka minds
when he has to use GNU Chess in stead!

Including the icshelpers but excluding Polyglot only makes sense when the function of WinBoard as an ICSclient would far outweigh the function of acting as engine GUI in importance. But that is not how we present WinBoard. (In fact the prevailing opinion seems to be opposite. I have seen discussions in many forums on which GUI was best, and although there are always people that defend the POV that WB is best for playing against engnes and engine tournaments, I have never seen anyone suggest that WB is a competative ICS client, and people immediately settle on BabasChess or Dasher. Unless they want to play engine bots, of course.) According to the description on our home-page, we present WB as ICS client, engine GUI and PGN viewer
on an equal basis.

Including other stuff, particularly stuff that isn't GPLv3, is really not consistent with a GNU project. Particularly as we have several closed source items in the last package I built.

Well, Crafty is not GPL, and it was included in the 4.2.7 installer. So I am acting on the assumption that this is no problem. In fact you just proposed to include it with 4.4.0 in stead of what we include
so you are not very consistent about this.

I don't see any reason to provide anything but help, winboard, and perhaps some INI files.

Well, this certainly is an option we should consider, even if only to offer it next to a bigger install. You don't even need the ini file, WB will make one by itself, and if there are no other components
installed on the machine the compiler defaults are fine. So just package:

winboard.exe
winboard.chm
winboard.hlp
COPYING.txt
FAQ.html
manual.html
zippy.README

and that's it. No timeseal, timestamp, polyglot. No engine. Just the stuff we produced ourselves, and a menu item to startup winboard.exe through the startup dialog. Perhaps we should indeed not consider it our task to spread software written outside te project, and leave bundling entirely
to the outside world (like WB forum).

We should be prepared, though, that this offering is not what most people want. So I think it would be important to at least offer them links to install bundles that are actually useful, if we don't provide any such bundle ourselves. And severely warn them that when the download WinBoard 4.4.0 from the GNU site they should not expect it to do anything useful whatsoever without a few days of muddling to collect and install essential auxiliary programs without any
help or description from a manual or tutorial.