Re: [XBoard-devel] Installer

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Installer
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 23:40:01 -0700

Hi

here are my two cents:

We can check whatever we want into git and should have copies of everything
that's in the installer also in git. If the license of that program we want to
include in the installer forbids us to upload into git, it most likely will
also not allow us to put it in the installer in the first place... so as long
as all the files in the installer are ok license wise, we should be ok with git
too. The git repository is also just a version control mechanism for us and not
the same as GNU part of the project, although I'm not exactly sure when it
comes to all this legal stuff ;) But my understanding is that xboard and the
tar-ball we distribute via the gnu ftp side are part of GNU. The home page is
now on the gnu-server too, so there are some stricter regulations. I think we
probably should be ok with distributing the winboard installer via that page,
but if we can distribute this version via the WBforum we don't even have to
look into this issue for the moment, so it would just make
 our life easier ;)

As far as bundling stuff with winboard goes, I kind of see Eric's point of us
choosing what should go in there and what not, but then again I also see that
for windows it probably is a lot better to provide programs with the installer.
The idea about having instruction on how to download those programs on the
webpage sounds good, but I don't think many people would actually do that
(people are just too lazy). My take would be to create an installer and add
whatever we want and add a text on the webpage along the lines: "if you want
your engine/code xyz to be included in the next release of winboard, please
contact us". It's not as if we are like Microsoft and won't change what
software we bundle, we are open to add stuff to it ;)

cheers
       ARUN