Re: [XBoard-devel] Installer

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Installer
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 08:34:44 +0200

I think a link to a relevant page instead of a download. But yes, provided it comes with the disclaimer that the winboard project doesn't endorse any particular add-ons or tools.

Indeed, a link would go to http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=49439 ,
(which would of course be updated to offer WinBoard 4.4.0 rather than 4.3.15)
and we could describe it in the section "Downloading XBoard / WinBoard" as:

"
Current policy of the XBoard project is to offer only files produced in the
project for download, and not bundle them with any third-party software.
Such downloads for XBoard can be found at <GNU download page>,
and for WinBoard at <GNU download page/winboard>
Installing the executable downloads from there will only provide you
with a winboard.exe and the associated help files, but will contain
a short tutorial manual for how to install engines and other essential
support programs.
More elaborate installs, that also contain some pre-installed demo
engines, protocol adapters, graphics or tournament manager are hosted
by third parties, e.g. at <WB forum downoad page>, but GNU does not
carry any responsibility for what they contain or how they are maintained.
"

I see it more as a mutually benificial arrangement. [...]

Beneficial to some, a select few who for no particular reason got the boon when others are equally deserving. Now don't take this the wrong way, I'm not actually accusing anyone of anything-- it's just hypothetical. But how do we know that nobody gets a kickback (monetary or otherwise) from inclusion in a bundle or from causing the winboard project to plug some specific software. Far fetched? Maybe, but weirder things have happened in this world. It's easily avoided too. I think that's one reason among many for sticking with freely distributable software or not bundling at all.

I agree that this is a danger. It would not worry me too much, though if someone got a kickback out of it. Suppose for the sake of argument that Pulsar would go commercial, but still allowed us to distribute this version for free. If it would benifit our users to supply it, I still would see no reason to shun Pulsar. The aim is not to minimize other people's income, but our maximize our own benifits. IMO it would only be reproachable if we started including stuff that is really sub-optimal, because we open ourselves to bribary.

If a 3rd party wants to deal with attaining relevant permissions, it's of no concern to this project.

MicroSoft is criticised for not revealing the interface specs, (to make competition impossible) and commercial anti-trust violations (pricing some products at a loss, funding them by profits on other, unrelated products, to bankrupt competition).
We don't do any of that.

Microsoft is criticized for a lot of things. But there are versions of windows that don't include IE because of bundling. Not because of interface specs.

I thought this fell under the commercial anti-trust: they supplied the browser for free,
(= no extra charge) funding it with proceeds from the OS.

It was not my idea to provide WinBoard and engines in one bundle.
I'm sure it wasn't. This whole issue never entered my mind until you mentioned possible licensing issues hosting the install files on git. Since then, I've done lots of thinking about it. I'm convinced that bundling hurts some people, and could lead to licensing problems down the road. Permission can be revoked, unless it's in writing and labeled as permanent. And really, we should be able to do what we need to with files in the project at any time. Inability to do so because of permission issues means to me that we are dealing with files that shouldn't be in a GNU project at all.

Revoking of permissions would indeed be a serious problem. But there is a lot of third-party software that can never suffer from this. For instance stuff released under a GPL or stuff explicitly licensed as freeware. I took care to select mostly stuff like that: Polyglot, Fruit,
Elephant Eye, UCCI2WB are all GPL, Fairy-Max is open-source freeware, PSWBTM
is open source with a clear license that allows re-distribution. Joker, HaQiKi D and the
fonts are freeware.

Your latter conclusion is not obvious to me. We should be able to do what we need to acheive the end result, but if there are several ways to accomplish that, some allowed, but some forbidden, why not do things the way they are allowed? For me it is the result that conts, not the method by which it is acheived. (Of course if it would be too cumbersome, we could drop it because of practical considerations, but I would not drop it out of principle.) E.g. putting the installer.exe in git seems a very workable method to me. Even if it would contain stuff we have no other rights than to distribute them as part of the installer, it would be just what we were doing. (And if we don't even have these rights, we obviously have no reason to touch the stuff at all). People wanting to work on the installer would simply pull the latest install.exe, have it self-extract in a temporary place, modifies the files there, and then build a new one (from a RePackage folder with install script that was pulled from git separately), and commits the new version. I don't see any problems
with that.

Rather than bundle, I would prefer to see some solid howtos that are maintained. They could contain links and precise setup instructions-- even scripts to set up software so the user wouldn't have to do anything complex. Of course with disclaimers that the winboard project doesn't endorse any particular external software. Along those lines, we might consider making it easy for other software to determine the winboard install location.

Yes, this would be a good way to do it. Installing over the network by directly pulling the third-party stuff from the original source would be the ultimate in this respect, and it is actually what I would prefer. But I don't know how to make a network installer.
Do you? Would you want to make the setup manual and / or scripts?

Is that really your goal, dictating protocol? If so, it really flies in the face of the previous sentence.

It is not a goal, but it would sure make our work easier if efforts to extend the protocol would not be frustrated by an enormous amount of inertia in the community. I would like to see a situation where other GUI developers and engine authors are eagerly watching our website waiting for protocol extensions that would allow them to implement what their customers want.

Mind you, I want open competition between GUIs and engines using WB protocol. I don't wat people to design competing protocols and create incompatibity. That is in no ones interest!

I'm not sure what the point is here. None of that has anything to do with the legal and ethical implications of the winboard project advocating select external software.

We mut be miscommunicating, then. I thought you main objection on conflict of interest was
that the a lot of the "third-party" software was actually mine.

I certainly applaud your efforts in the winboard project. I probably never made that clear. I simply do not have the time to do the amount of work you have on the project. So please don't take my criticism here as a jab at your obvious enthusiasm for the project, nor at the vast amount of hard work you have contributed.

Perhaps I'm just being pedantic about this issue. Nobody else seems to care-- at least I haven't seen anyone else who's concerned about it.

Well, I do think it would be better to leave such concerns to they higher echelons of GNU. They must have policies for what you can put on their download page as bundles, and we have done it before with 4.2.7 containing timestamp, timeseal and Crafty. Either we were breaking the rules then, or the rules are more liberal than you imagine. I suppose that GNU would not make these policies without involving people more qualified than we
in legal matters...