Re: [XBoard-devel] Installer

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Installer
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 18:51:40 -0700

Hi

Eric wrote:
> Face it.  Winboard is an advanced program for relatively advanced
> users.  You can try to make it easier for them by bundling, but I
> don't  think that's really the job of the winboard project.  And I don't
> see it  having any significant impact on "winboard market share."  I'm not
> sure  that's really a concern of the winboard project anyway.

Since I'm only using xboard, my opinion doesn't really count I guess ;) anyway,
the way I see it is that bundling a lot of extra software in a nice installer
can't hurt and it seems as if you already got most of it bundled and HGM seems
to have finished the gold-pack(tm) installer. Seems like the effort wasn't
really that much to get the installer working, so I say we should use it...

I guess everyone agrees that making an installer isn't our main concern and
most effort does go into xboard/winboard. Once we have the installer though, it
should be relatively easy to update it, so from now on the effort to create new
packages should be even less...

One question would be if we should use the GNU homepage to ship the installer
or if we should just put winboard.exe up there and have a link to the WBforum
(or some other place) for the gold-pack(tm) installer (and tell everyone to use
that link)... that way we would run into no problems with GNU and non-GNU
software. Might be the cleanest solution if it is ok to host the installer on
the forum... which I guess should be ok, since the old versions of winboard
were available through it too AFAIK.

ARUN