Re: [XBoard-devel] Bughouse Support

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Bughouse Support
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2010 16:59:42 -0800

Hi

>> That's the easiest to implement, but I don't think it would be usefull
>> in bughouse... you really want to see your partners game the whole time
>> and also his captures pieces...
>
> Well, t does not seem so bad to me. (But of course I never played it on
> a server, so I should be careful.) You cannot look at two boards at once
> anyway, you would have to focus your attention on one at the time. It is
> not obvious to me that moving your eyes to and from the other board is
> very much faster than having your left index finger on the F1 key (say),
> and pressing or releasing it, while keeping your eyes fixed on the same
> point. I played this game OTB when I was a student, and then we hardly
> looked at each other's boards. (That just took to much time, and you would
> forfeit for sure...)
>
> But as a start we should certainly do this, just to have an easy check that
> the back-end works.

that would be ok for testing the backend, but when playing you _need_ to
be able to look at both boards and not hit a key... bughouse games on
FICS are pretty fast and having to toggle between boards wouldn't
work... there are sometime situation where both boards don't want to
move, but eventually one person has to move and say if it's your opp
turns and the turn of your partner you need to be able to watch both
boards at the same time to be able to react...

ARUN