Re: [XBoard-devel] ICS context menu

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] ICS context menu
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 20:47:00 +0100

It is traditional windows logic to use the buttonup event for actions.
Go to any menu in any program and downclick only but don't release the mouse. Nothing happens until you release the mouse. If you change your mind about the action, you simply move away the mouse from the item and then release.

That's why the buttonup event is used-- so you can change your mind on misclicks.

OK, I see the logic, and indeed the right-click menu in NotePad behaves that way.
But left-clicking the menu bar of mmost programms I tried, including NotePad,
the pull-down menus appear on the down-click. And you can select an item there
on the corresponding up-click, if you move there. If not, the menu says open until
a second click. So Windos users are not entirely unfamiliar with this behavior.

If the 'action' is opening a menu, this logic seems a bit over-cautious. I could even
make an up-click outside the menu immediately pop it down, so that the logic
down-move-up to cancel the action fully applies. People that like the meu to stay up after a full click could simply define an empty menu position under the mouse
pointer, and an up-click there would then be ignored and keep the menu open.