[XBoard-devel] Latest and future developments

From: h.g. muller
Subject: [XBoard-devel] Latest and future developments
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 21:24:30 +0200

Perhaps this is a good time to make a summary of recent and expected developments.

*) A quite nasty bug has surfaced in the XBoard file browser: it turned out the browser counted on . and .. being the first two entries in any directory, and skipped them blindly. On my Ubuntu 8.04 this aparently was true, as I never noticed any weirdness. But people were complaining about missing files, and now I have Ubuntu 10.04 I see this too. If another file is the first entry, it was ignored, and . was appearing in the list instead. This was easy to fix, of course, but perhaps important enough to prompt a new release (4.5.3)?

*) Another bug for the major league was that the error exit to the Engine #N Settings dialog when the engine has no options (e.g. Crafty or GNU Chess), which at one time was needed to prevent a crash (that bug has been fixed now, but printing "Engine has no options" still seems a more useful response than showing a window with only an OK and Cancel button), did not reset the flag indicating the generic popup was used for engine options, so that after that almost none of the XBoard dialogs would work anymore (all producing the
"Engine has no options"error popup instead.

*) I have been experimenting a bit with something XBoard untill now never supported at all: the possibility to search for a given position in a PGN file. It seems I have something that works reasonably well now, using an internal memory cache to store games in a search-friendly format, and implementing the most important search modes (such as for an exact position, for a certain material composition, or one within a given range, etc.) This does put XBoard on the map in the world of Chess database applications. It might not be as good as Chessbase or SCID, but it is an acceptable alternative. The version that does this is in the 'profile' branch of the hgm.nubati.net repository. I used the Load Options dialog for specifying the search parameters (because it was still an almost empty dialog), although perhaps the Game-List Options dialog would have been a more logical place (but not done by the generic popup). A good question is how far we want XBoard to go along this road. Should it remain a nice feature occasionally used for searching a position in a moderate size file, or do we really want to cater to heavy-duty database users who want to scan through millions of games (and could only do that efficiently if you can load and store the compact internal formats, rather than the clumsy PGN.)

*) As the database capability invites the use of bigger PGN files, a quite severe limitation of Xaw listboxes surfaced: it turned out XBoard did not want to display more than some 1900 games in the Game List (of the 41,000 that were in my test file). I suspect this also has to do with the average line length (perhaps a 64K character limit?) This also seems a pretty severe bug to me. I produced a work-around, where you can 'page' through the Game List, which I limited to displaying 1000 games. This patch is in the database branch, though. I am not sure if we want to generally fix it (i.e.also in 4.5.x); no one ever complained about this. I suppose the GTK version will not have this limitation (I know WinBoard hasn't, so the back-end
must be OK), so perhaps we just leave it for there.

*) There was a request for the tournament-manager function to allow replacement of particpants during the tourney. (It seems almost no GUI can do this.) This was easy to
implement, and seems to work fine. (Two new buttons in the tournament dialog.)

*) Another request was to allow null-move (turn passing) in analysis; I implemented this by clicking the clock of the side you want to give the move to. Other major GUIs support null-move too.

*) A cosmetic improvement was to allow a separate font in WinBoard for the Game List on one hand, and Move History / Engine Output on the other. This was requested by users that wanted to use a figurine font in the latter two, without this messing up the Game List. We might consider how we want to handle fonts in XBoard, where there are now only three clock, coord and message, the latter used for almost everything. Some diversification here will not be over-doing it. (WinBoard has 8 different fonts after this change...)