Re: [XBoard-devel] Latest and future developments

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Latest and future developments
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 21:56:31 +0200

I have gone through the master branch, to identify all commits that
were fixes of bugs that also existed in 4.5.2, and cherry-picked those
in my hgm4.5.2 branch. In total we now have 35 bug fixes since the
release of 4.5.2a, some quite serious (e.g.missing files in the
filebrowser, crash of the Engine Settings dialogs for engines without
options (e.g. Crafty), incorrect scrolling in Engine Output making
some parts of it "untouchable").

I think that more than than justifies a new bugfix release (4.5.3).
So I propose we do a development release with the current content
of hgm.nubati.net/hgm4.5.2, in the hope to attract some testing,
and if there are no major complaints, do the 4.5.3 release a few
weeks later.

In the mean time I will prepare a development release for the master
branch, based on what is now in hgmaster/search/profile. I still
want to iron out some imperfections of the new position-search
functions there (in particulare dynamic memory allocation for
the game memory cache). After that, there seems enough new
stuff to start working towards a 4.6.0 release.

I updated the http://hgm.nubati.net/news.html file to get descriptions
of all new stuff in there. I guess everything but the non-chess games
and the pictorial promotion / piece menus (which have been superceded
by detour under-promotion) can go into 4.6.0,and I will prepare a
proper selection from it to goon Savannah.