Re: [XBoard-devel] Latest and future developments

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Latest and future developments
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 23:44:17 +0200

I have now also transferred the patches to do paging in the XBoard
Game List, and print a message when the latter is empty (which can
happen through filtering). An empty listbox seems to cause segfaulting, and
the previous fix in v4.5.x did prevent that by suppressing the listbox update
in that case, thus leaving the old contents there. But it turned out that
clicking on the entries in that case would crash XBoard after all, because
the underlying info would have been erased. That the full Game List of a
large PGN file could not be displayed was also quite annoying.

In view of this bleak situation, I decided to apply the available fixes to v4.5.x,
despite the fact that these are reasonably complex, and not well tested.
I guess when we do the development release, we should especially
encourage testing of the Game List, for small (< 1000 games) as well
as big (> 1000 games) files.