Re: [XBoard-devel] Any difference between engine and machine?

From: Tim Mann
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Any difference between engine and machine?
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 17:49:36 -0800

Yes -- engine, machine, and chess program all essentially mean the same thing. The only reason for three different terms is historical, and maybe we could get rid of two of them in the english version too.

"Engine" or "chess engine" seems to be the term that people use the most now. Historically, it's newer than the other terms. I think the other two terms were both used from the start, for example in the "Machine White" menu item vs. -firstChessProgram command line option.

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 5:18 PM, Arun Persaud <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi

On 12/05/2011 07:51 AM, Byrial Jensen wrote:
> [...]
> So what is the difference between engine, machine and chess program? And
> if there is none, shouldn't the same word be used in all places?

as far as I know there is no difference... we could replace it
everywhere with "chess program", but then again I don't normally use
chess programs that often...

Any thoughts from other people?

Arun