Re: [XBoard-devel] XBoard -- 'Study game' mode and GTK.

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] XBoard -- 'Study game' mode and GTK.
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 14:59:31 +0200

As far as the GTK branch is concerned, anything in git is
unfortunately out of date and since HGM changed a lot of things in
master, it might almost be better to start new...

Well, this might be overly pessimistic. I am not sure when the last time
was that gtk-xt was brought in sync with master, but don't think I changed
much that required front-end support. Only after the GTK version was
more or less moth-balled I did a major rewrite of the X11 front end, but this
should not have any effect on the GTK version, as it is all in files that
are not used in the GTK build. Of course it does mean that some of the
impovements (like having a separate window for the second board in
Dual Board mode) that could be done basically for free in the new X11
front end will not benefit the GTK branch. But it should still work in
the old way, that the X11 front-end did before being ported to GTK.
Thi is just cosmetics, and not a feature that would be entirely missing.

on the other hand as
HGM pointed out now a lot less needs to be ported, since the graphic
frontend is better separated from the rest of the code and most things
can probably be copied from the gtk-xt branch.

This could be another approach. The GenericPopUp code was already
ported by John, and the overhaul I did was basically remove all dedicated
code for handling popup windows from xboard.c, and let GenericPopUp()
handle them. To do this for some windows, the capabilities of
GenericPopUp() had to be extended a bit, though. (E.g. to specify
a 'graphics widget' for the Eval Graph and Board window, and a list-box
widget for the Game List window.) This was quite straightforward,
though: GenericPopUp() grew only slightly in size, and the code
that was added was mostly taken from the dedicated routines that
created these windows before (and were then deleted). The same
strategy could be applied to the GTK version.