[Texmacs-dev] Monitoring changes in mainline

From: david
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Monitoring changes in mainline
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 00:31:22 +0200

On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 05:35:50PM +0200, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> I did not have time to make these two improvements yet;
> maybe a nice exercise for a hacker :^)
> Here is the new tm-bracket.scm:

I think it would be nice for those who have an interest in closely
following the changes the code base if you could post patches for the
changes you make on the source.

The goal would be:

  -- less work for me (and/or others) to reverse engineer the changes
     in new releases

  -- better quality changelogs

  -- better quality patchsets

That focus on better patchsets is related to my current interest to
arch as a tool to make it easier for people to contribute. So
different people interested in a particular feature can hack on it
until it got good enough to be merged in mainline.

Also that would make it easier for users to get 'oops' fixes on
development releases and it would make it easier for contributors to
monitor changes when internal interfaces are broken or when their
contribution are merged modified or incompletely.

The constraints seem to be:

  -- as easy as possible for you

  -- as non-disruptive as possible

  -- do not require any specific tool

Obviously all the goals cannot be achieved at the same time.

Currently my plan is to maintain a public arch repository for
mainstream in which I will reverse engineer the changes in mainline.
Not really the ideal solution, but that is going to be good enough for
experimentation. And anyway I am already doing this reverse
engineering work for my own benefit.

Any idea anyone?
--
                                                            -- DDAA