Re: [Texmacs-dev] Monitoring changes in mainline

From: david
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Monitoring changes in mainline
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 21:50:35 +0200

On Sat, Apr 19, 2003 at 12:19:20PM +0200, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:

> I think that live patches might become important, but that they are
> not yet. The big reorganization I am working on will result in a
> more stable API and more localized changes for the sequel. You just
> have to be patient. Don't forget that I have been working five years
> on TeXmacs, and that I had to be very patient too. And, once again,
> good documentation and stable API's seem to be a better priority.

So we agree on the base.

I am not rushing anything. And as I said, the experiments I plan do
not *require* you to change the way you work.

I just want to have a discussion and try alternative system before
there are really important problems and see if people around have
suggestions at this point. Please, people, wake up!

> I understand, but I cannot change the mode of developement
> during a big cleanup phase.

If I understand well, you mean that you do not plan to change anyhow
the way work is done until the cleanups are done. That is fine with
me, but that does not prevent *discussion*.

> There are also many things which don't please me in the way things
> are being developed, but I don't complain about that so often.

Please tell us what you think is wrong.

> By the way, I am not sure that, apart from you, there are that many
> people who are frustrated by the development mode. If I am wrong,
> then I would like to hear so from such other people and discuss with
> them the solutions they propose.

Here we come in the realm of non-verifiable statements, since I
believe that people who got frustrated just went away.

I would like some input from people who just "hack something at home".
There might be interesting hacks around whose author has not time (or
interest) to work to the quality required for merging in mainline, but
everyone would benenfit if such works were in public development
branches.

Is there any "hack something at home" types who can give us an idea of
what would be convenient enough for them to publish their work?

--
                                                            -- DDAA