Re: [Adonthell-devel] equipping items

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] equipping items
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 21:55:53 +0200

On Fri, 16 May 2003 11:55:32 -0700 Mike Avery wrote:

> Ah, OK, I hadn't thought of this.  We'd better read categories from a
> file too then!  We wouldn't want to assume that all characters have
> "LEGS". ;)

Yep. That's what I thought. I thought that we'd have a list of
categories for each slot name. Like

Head: Helmet
Neck: Amulet
Left_Finger: Ring
Right_Finger: Ring
Left_Hand: Shield, Weapon
Right_Hand: Weapon, Tool

Maybe we should already define an initial list of slots and
categories that fit in each slot. Just to make things clear.

There is also a question how dependencies between slots are checked. I
mean you couldn't equip a shield as long as a dual-handed weapon is
equipped. It's similar with double-wielding (although those two seem to
be the only cases requiring special attention).

> So we will move the equip.add() equip.remove() and
> equip.slot.accepts() methods to the item class?

I thought they would be with the manager, wouldn't they?

> OK Kai, if you want to look at the item manipulation, I can get
> started on writing up some methods for character and item stat checks
> etc.  We can roll these into the manager when we have something to
> combine.
>
> We want the manager performing the character and item checks yes?

Sure. That's why I am wondering about the above. Aren't those three
methods roughly equivalent to those I suggeted in the first mail?
(add <=> equip, remove <=> unequip, accepts <=> fits)

accepts might be a better name than fits, but I feal that equip/unequip
are clearer than the generic add/remove, even though unequip might not
be proper English ;).

What do you think, Mike?