RE: [Adonthell-devel] equipping items

From: Mike Avery
Subject: RE: [Adonthell-devel] equipping items
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 20:52:06 -0700

>Yeah, sounds good. So I'll add the negated flag to the slot class.

Cool!

>Yes. That's why I suggested One-Handed/Two-Handed weapon as category
>below. Left hand would only take One-Handed weapons, while right one
>could hold any Weapon.

Bingo!

>Then it's clear. So I'll start with the others today! I hope that
>characters can equip some items by the end of the weekend :).

Great!

>Whatever you think is best. I believe that we wanted the manager to do
>this, right?

I think the manager yeah.  I think the manager would always know up to date
info on the character.  If The manager gathers info from save-state on
startup, any subsequent effects to the character would be applied by the
manager, so it would always have accurate data.  The manager, I assume,
would also be the only code to actually "modify" the character state.

I would like the manager to keep a structure of aggregate character data.  A
"snapshot" of a character containing all character stats, equipped item
stats, applied effects, etc.

The structure would contain:

- Complete Character Stats and proficiencies
- Equipped item base stats, and their categories
- A list of effects currently applied to the character

I don't know what your thoughts are on a combat <--> manager class
association to access this structure, or if you would rather use a method
which returns a copy of the structure, or a pointer to the manager's
structure.

With each combat round, the combat engine needs to know the updated stats,
status, equipment stats, effects, etc (anything effecting combat).

Which way do you like better?

- A method returning a pointer to the structure
- A method returning a copy of the structure
- An association between the combat and manager classes