RE: [Adonthell-devel] equipping items

From: Mike Avery
Subject: RE: [Adonthell-devel] equipping items
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 10:27:18 -0700

>This means that there would be a manager for each character, right? (I
>assumed it would be static.)

Well, let me ask a couple of questions.

Will there be a party system?  I assume so?

Could we not have the manager build and track a structure for each character
within a party?  If we have the manager load the party from save-state at
init, it could track all party members.

Also, most functions could be fairly generic, since most requests sent to
the manager by other portions of game code would provide character ID, or
the character ID would be implied for equip stuff?

One manger instance containing a structure for each party character.  Make
sense or am I missing something?

>Actually, we could store the basic stats with the manager right from the
>beginning. I believe this would make more sense, as the unmodified
>character stats would only be required to init the manager stats right
>at the beginning. Afterwards, they would probably never be touched
>again. So you'd have:

   +-------------+
   |  character  |
   +------,------+

   +------'------+            +-------------+
   |   manager   |------------|    stats    |
   +-------------+            +-------------+

>But maybe you already have some ideas of your own. In that case you
>might want to ignore the above :).

This is exactly what I was driving at!

>> The structure would contain:
>>
>> - Complete Character Stats and proficiencies
>> - Equipped item base stats, and their categories
>> - A list of effects currently applied to the character

>Yes. That would be everything that is relevant for combat or other code
>that needs to access the actual character stats.

Yeah, I think so.

>I guess returning a pointer would be just fine.

OK, sounds good.

>How does that sound to you? The real difficulties and flaws usually show
>up once you start coding, as I noticed yesterday ;). So my ideas should
>probably be taken with care.

We're in the same boat, since we seem to agree on this stuff :)

Mike