Re: [Adonthell-devel] Python tests not working anymore

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Python tests not working anymore
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 10:19:08 +0100

Am Mittwoch, 04.02.04 um 13:14 Uhr schrieb Alexandre Courbot:

Good points. On the other hand, I can hardly imagine base::init() not
returning.

But that's the problem we're facing on OS X (and Windows too). The main function/method of any program using the Adonthell framework needs to be treated like a callback, so it will be callable from within OS X or Win32 initialization. And once it returns, it might be neccessary to terminate the program. On OS X, it would crash otherwise, for example. That means, most likely, init will not return.

So the right policy would be, no source into src/, right?

Right.

By the way. I've commited stuff a few days ago about SWIG. It removes the libswigruntime/ directory (swig runtime library we embedded) and asks SWIG to generate it (as of 1.3.21 SWIG is capable of doing it) along with the Python
wrappers.

That's cool. I always had problems with linking to libswigruntime before on OS X (somehow the path was messed up, so I had to create a symlink to get it working). However, linking a module against another module does not work well on OS X:

*** Warning: Linking the shared library _main.la against the loadable module
*** swigruntime.so is not portable!
** Warning, lib swigruntime.so is a module, not a shared library

Later, when doing make install I get an error. So I changed libswigruntime into an ordinary dynamic lib. That way, it works fine. Hope that's okay under Linux too; haven't tested yet.