Re: [Adonthell-devel] Python tests not working anymore

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Python tests not working anymore
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 12:43:26 +0100

Am Donnerstag, 05.02.04 um 11:08 Uhr schrieb Alexandre Courbot:

Later, when doing make install I get an error. So I changed
libswigruntime into an ordinary dynamic lib. That way, it works fine.
Hope that's okay under Linux too; haven't tested yet.

Should be - I'll test that this evening.

Seems I was a little too fast. With my change it does compile and install, but python scripts fail to work, since the symbols used in our modules and in libswigruntime do not match:

bash-2.05a$ otool -Iv /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site- packages/adonthell/_gfx.so | grep SWIG
0x0002baf0  4871 _SWIG_InstallConstants
0x0002bb10  4874 _SWIG_TypeRegister
0x0002bb70  4875 _SWIG_newvarlink
0x0002be50  4873 _SWIG_TypeClientData
0x0002c010  4870 _SWIG_ConvertPtr
0x0002c050  4872 _SWIG_NewPointerObj
0x00036078  4871 _SWIG_InstallConstants
0x0003607c  4874 _SWIG_TypeRegister
0x00036088  4875 _SWIG_newvarlink
0x000360e4  4873 _SWIG_TypeClientData
0x0003611c  4870 _SWIG_ConvertPtr
0x00036124  4872 _SWIG_NewPointerObj

bash-2.05a$ otool -Tv /usr/local/lib/libswigruntime.dylib /usr/local/lib/libswigruntime.dylib:
Table of contents (18 entries)
module name      symbol name
single module    _SWIG_Python_ConvertPacked
single module    _SWIG_Python_ConvertPtr
single module    _SWIG_Python_InstallConstants
single module    _SWIG_Python_MustGetPtr
single module    _SWIG_Python_NewPackedObj
single module    _SWIG_Python_NewPointerObj
single module    _SWIG_Python_PackData
single module    _SWIG_Python_TypeCast
single module    _SWIG_Python_TypeCheck
single module    _SWIG_Python_TypeClientData
single module    _SWIG_Python_TypeDynamicCast
single module    _SWIG_Python_TypeName
single module    _SWIG_Python_TypeQuery
single module    _SWIG_Python_TypeRegister
single module    _SWIG_Python_UnpackData
single module    _SWIG_Python_addvarlink
single module    _SWIG_Python_newvarlink
single module    _initswigrun

If you look at swigruntime_wrap.cc you'll see that the functions are redefined to the *_Python_* form, but our modules include the functions without _Python_ for some reason.

I'll have a look what can be done about this. Not sure whether this is an issue on Linux, though, as GNU ld might be much better than Apple's counterpart.