Re: [Adonthell-devel] CMake finalization?

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] CMake finalization?
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 23:58:04 +0200

On 9/28/06, Alexandre Courbot <address@hidden> wrote:

Still, it'd be interesting to list what is missing before we can
consider cmake as ready for "production". I've been noticing the
following things:

- Dynamically-loaded libraries are named libsomething.so instead of
something.so (e.g. libsdl.so instead of sdl.so),
- Python wrappers are not installed,
- Versions of installed libraries/tools should be checked by cmake.

- linker flags missing on OS X: -Wl,-undefined suppress
-Wl,-flat_namespace; maybe others
- data directory should be detected automatically, depending on system arch
- linking on Win32 fails with undefined references ... need to dig in
further, but it might be the case that for a dll, all symbols must be
available when the dll is created. That's not an issue of cmake
though, didn't work with autotools either. Maybe, there's a linker
flag like on OS X to get it working, otherwise some changes to the
order of compilation and libs linked have to be made.

I'm excited about cmake, so maybe I can look at these issues and try
to fix them, for my cmake culture. However, if Joel is still working
on it, I'd rather let him do and learn by watching the final result.

I'll see whether I can fix the OS X and Windows issues, but I try to
not touch general stuff like version checking or properly installing
and naming stuff.