Re: [Adonthell-devel] Mapedit plans

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Mapedit plans
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 09:54:22 +0200

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 12:06 AM, James Nash <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have to confess that I haven't really tried mapedit yet (I started it up
> once to verify that it works though). I wanted to make a few more
> sprites/mapobjects before I delve into it.

That might give me some time to make sure it's not a complete pain to use :-).

> I've been preparing some graphics for the stairs. Currently they are single
> PNG images:
[...]
> For the models, I was going to add a block shape for each step.
>
> I guess I'll need to break up the "Back" one into separate PNGs for each step
> so that the engine can draw individual steps in front of the character as
> they walk down. Is that correct?

Yes.

> Would this be necessary for the other stairs too or can they remain as a
> single PNG?

It would be best. If the stairs are taller than the character sprite,
the character bbox may end up completely inside the stairs bbox, and
then the outcome is undefined.

For the model it shouldn't make much difference. Still one shape per
step, but also one sprite. In the long run, it even gives you more
flexibility, as you could use the same sprites to make half-height
stairs or such without the need to have an extra set of graphics.