Re: [Adonthell-devel] Mapedit plans

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Mapedit plans
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 21:07:28 +0200

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:

> For the model it shouldn't make much difference. Still one shape per
> step, but also one sprite. In the long run, it even gives you more
> flexibility, as you could use the same sprites to make half-height
> stairs or such without the need to have an extra set of graphics.

Maybe I have been a bit misleading. You don't really need a
_different_ sprite for each individual step. Instead you can add the
same image/sprite multiple times to a model. Internally, the image
data is stored only once, so referencing it multiple times actually
saves memory (and loading time).

So instead of 12 images, you should be able to build your stairs with
3. One for top and bottom steps, and one for all the steps in between.

The same principle holds true for animation frames of a sprite.
Different frames can refer to the same image.