ainulindale-devel

Re: [Ainulindale-devel] Some graphs...

From: Andrea Negro
Subject: Re: [Ainulindale-devel] Some graphs...
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 16:20:59 +0200

On Thursday 05 June 2003 06:51 pm, Federico 'Derfel' Stella wrote:

> First of all, the generated html is orrible! Are there any options to
> remove some garbage?

I don't think so... :)

> I think this graph lacks:
> o "Visitor": He is just a camera moving around the world, but can only chat
>       with others visitors. It could be useful to newbie for see how play
>       an experienced team.

This is a possibility... even if there is the problem that doing so a player
could explore areas without risk, which is not desireable. We could think
about limiting the areas in which he's allowed.

> Game Keepers is an area builder with fewer rights, and try to avoid making
> particular cases when there's no need.

Probably it's better to explain. To my mind, a game keeper is *not* an area
builed with fewer rights. The difference between a gane keeper and an area
builder is the same that you have between a game master and the person who
write an expansion module for a normal rpg. A game keeper cannot modify the
world in any way, except for a few ways to influence it in order to create
quests. An area builder is someone who build new areas, create the world
itself. If this way it is clear, we should update the desc. Otherwise,
discuss a bit more. :)

> About Player:
> > A player is supposed to be able to move in the simulated world, to
> > explore, to fight and to die. These are not constraints, these just
>
> This is not the right level. Not all games may have these options.
>
> > being parameters offered by the framework; but it is so likely to
> > have such actions that a great attention will be given to them.
>
> Ainulindale must be more generic and let the game programmers choose how
> define these actions.

That's why I told that these are just parameters. A framework is supposed to
provide a simple way to implement the most common things, and a degree of
freedom to let a person implement something new. To move, to die, to fight
are things which will be used very likely, so I think there will be shortcuts
to implement them, even if, as parameters or call them as you like, you (the
game builder) are not supposed to use them.

> About Game admin:
> >  It will have full control, both on the structure of the game and on the
> >  runtime environment
>
> full control + structure of the game = Ok.
> full control + runtime environment = No.

Let's define runtime. I am referring to the game itself while running, which
is a basic feature. An admin is supposed to to admin things while the game is
running, not only offline. I do not mean system environment or things like
that.

--
Andrea Negro

address@hidden