ainulindale-devel

Re: [Ainulindale-devel] Some graphs...

From: Andrea Negro
Subject: Re: [Ainulindale-devel] Some graphs...
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 17:59:50 +0200

On Friday 06 June 2003 12:31 am, Federico 'Derfel' Stella wrote:
> * giovedì 05 giugno 2003, alle 16:20, Andrea Negro scrive:
> > On Thursday 05 June 2003 06:51 pm, Federico 'Derfel' Stella wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >> Game Keepers is an area builder with fewer rights, and try to avoid
> >> making particular cases when there's no need.
> >
> > Probably it's better to explain. To my mind, a game keeper is *not* an
> > area builed with fewer rights. The difference between a gane keeper and
> > an area builder is the same that you have between a game master and the
> > person who write an expansion module for a normal rpg. A game keeper
> > cannot modify the world in any way, except for a few ways to influence it
> > in order to create quests. An area builder is someone who build new
> > areas, create the world itself. If this way it is clear, we should update
> > the desc. Otherwise, discuss a bit more. :)
>
> I don't link this actor. What you describe *is* a is an area builder with
> fewer rights.

Probably this came from my gaming experience... btw, a keeper has no way to
modify the world, so i do not think as an area builder. He is just a player
with special powers, but without any possibility to influence or see the area
or game structures.

> >> Ainulindale must be more generic and let the game programmers choose how
> >> define these actions.
> >
> > That's why I told that these are just parameters. A framework is supposed
> > to provide a simple way to implement the most common things, and a degree
> > of freedom to let a person implement something new. To move, to die, to
> > fight
>
> Right.
>
> > are things which will be used very likely, so I think there will be
> > shortcuts to implement them, even if, as parameters or call them as you
> > like, you (the game builder) are not supposed to use them.
>
> IMHO You should not specify these things at this level.

They were just examples. :) But I will get rid of them if you think so, no
problem.

> >> About Game admin:
> >>
> >> full control + structure of the game = Ok.
> >> full control + runtime environment = No.
> >
> > Let's define runtime. I am referring to the game itself while running,
> > which is a basic feature. An admin is supposed to to admin things while
> > the game is running, not only offline. I do not mean system environment
> > or things like that.
>
> Ok, but you chose the wrong term :)

Suggestions are welcome. :)

--