ainulindale-devel

Re: [Ainulindale-devel] Some graphs...

From: Federico 'Derfel' Stella
Subject: Re: [Ainulindale-devel] Some graphs...
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 00:31:13 +0200

* giovedì 05 giugno 2003, alle 16:20, Andrea Negro scrive:
> On Thursday 05 June 2003 06:51 pm, Federico 'Derfel' Stella wrote:

[...]

>> I think this graph lacks:
>> o "Visitor": He is just a camera moving around the world, but can only chat
>>      with others visitors. It could be useful to newbie for see how play
>>      an experienced team.

> This is a possibility... even if there is the problem that doing so a player
> could explore areas without risk, which is not desireable. We could think
> about limiting the areas in which he's allowed.
Yes, but this is to area builders, not every games have unexplored areas.

>> Game Keepers is an area builder with fewer rights, and try to avoid making
>> particular cases when there's no need.

> Probably it's better to explain. To my mind, a game keeper is *not* an area
> builed with fewer rights. The difference between a gane keeper and an area
> builder is the same that you have between a game master and the person who
> write an expansion module for a normal rpg. A game keeper cannot modify the
> world in any way, except for a few ways to influence it in order to create
> quests. An area builder is someone who build new areas, create the world
> itself. If this way it is clear, we should update the desc. Otherwise,
> discuss a bit more. :)
I don't link this actor. What you describe *is* a is an area builder with
fewer rights.

>>> being parameters offered by the framework; but it is so likely to
>>> have such actions that a great attention will be given to them.
>> Ainulindale must be more generic and let the game programmers choose how
>> define these actions.

> That's why I told that these are just parameters. A framework is supposed to
> provide a simple way to implement the most common things, and a degree of
> freedom to let a person implement something new. To move, to die, to fight
Right.

> are things which will be used very likely, so I think there will be shortcuts
> to implement them, even if, as parameters or call them as you like, you (the
> game builder) are not supposed to use them.
IMHO You should not specify these things at this level.

>> About Game admin:
>>>  It will have full control, both on the structure of the game and on the
>>>  runtime environment

>> full control + structure of the game = Ok.
>> full control + runtime environment = No.

> Let's define runtime. I am referring to the game itself while running, which
> is a basic feature. An admin is supposed to to admin things while the game is
> running, not only offline. I do not mean system environment or things like
> that.
Ok, but you chose the wrong term :)