Re: Success (mostly) with the testsuite

From: David Morgan
Subject: Re: Success (mostly) with the testsuite
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 08:32:55 -0700

Hi Pavel,

I'll reply to you first and then Akim.  It's easier to keep my mind straight
that way :)

Pavel Roskin wrote:

> Hello, David!
>
> > I have found the offending statement :)
>
> You are wonderful!
>
> > if $ac_need_defaults; then
> >   : ${CONFIG_FILES=$config_files}
> > fi
> >
> > Before this CONFIG_FILES is blank and config_files has the list of files.
> > After this CONFIG_FILES has tests/atconfig and nothing else!
>
> I wish that somebody found it before. This is extremely important for
> Autoconf developers and needs to be worked around as soon as possible.
>
> > if $ac_need_defaults; then
> >   CONFIG_FILES=$config_files
> > fi
> >
> > Worked.
> >
> > I'm not sure this is real portable though :)
>
> I think that the quotes around $config_files wouldn't hurt. Also you need
> to check that CONFIG_FILES has not already been set.
>
> Eureka, quotes! Could you please test this construct:
>
> if $ac_need_defaults; then
>   : ${CONFIG_FILES="$config_files"}
> fi

This does work as you <Pavel> hoped.

> > Makefile:142: warning: overriding commands for target `//1/tmp/autoconf/.'
>
> This must be something QNX specific.

Not quite (see below for the value of srcdir)

The make shipped with QNX is supposed to be GNU Make 3.74

I know I tried to compile make on the platform for 3.76 and did not succeed
so I am suspicious of patches not put back to the make code.

> > cd //1/tmp/autoconf/. . . && /bin/sh //1/tmp/autoconf/missing autoconf
> > substitution too long
>
> Weird.
>
> > configure: error: source directory already configured; run "make distclean"
> > there first
> > make: *** [config.status] Error 1
>
> Wild, wonderful world of QNX! Obviously, configure thinks that it's a
> build with $srcdir != .

I hope so as I just noticed the value for srcdir in the Makefile is:

srcdir = //1/tmp/autoconf/. . .

Yes there are 3 dots, space separated in srcdir.

Where do I need to go to look for what creates this?

> There is such line in configure:
>
> if test "`cd $srcdir && pwd`" != "`pwd`" && test -f $srcdir/config.status;
> then
>
> Please play with it and find what $srcdir is, why "pwd" outputs different
> directories (or is is "cd" that produces some noice?)

srcdir is //1/tmp/autoconf
pwd is /tmp/autoconf
cd srcdir && pwd is //1/tmp/autoconf

So the line fails as they are not equal!

> > Ah the joys of QNX - where should I start to look for solving this then?
> > The Makefile or the recheck?
>
> It doesn't matter. Everything should be fixed before Automake-2.50 can be
> released.

As I said earlier this box is our torture test of building now it will
be for autoconf too :)

Regards
 David