Re: Backquotes in quotes in backquotes (Was: Success (mostly) with the t

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Backquotes in quotes in backquotes (Was: Success (mostly) with the testsuite)
Date: 30 Nov 2000 16:48:05 +0100

>>>>> "Daniele" == Daniele Arena <address@hidden> writes:

Daniele> OK, I give up. I reran all the tests with plain Bourne shell,
Daniele> and I obtained Yet Another Different Set of failed checks.

Good news :(

Daniele> If you really want, I can send you the tests with sh, bash
Daniele> and tcsh . But maybe privately, not to spam the list.

This list is meant to be spamed with such content.  Each time you send
something to just one maintainer, you make it harder for us to try to
understand a decision we took some months ago.  Think of all the
archives around there, and their use!

Daniele> Well, I was "born" with C Shell,

You're Venus!  I knew it!

Daniele> I run everything with "make check". BTW, I always have to run
Daniele> it twice (with any shell); at the first time it says

Shouldn't make any difference, but thanks for reporting it.

>> How about this:
>>
>> if (foo=foo; test "$foo" != foo) >/dev/null 2>&1; then
>> AC_MSG_ERROR([your shell does not appear to be a Bourne shell]) fi

Daniele> Hey come on, I know which shell I run...:) The file I sent
Daniele> you some mails ago was produced by bash, and not tcsh.

I was talking of M4sh, independently from our issue :)