Re: autoconf auxdir

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: autoconf auxdir
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 08:53:56 -0400

Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> On Apr 12, 2001, Akim Demaille <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > aux means nothing and is not portable.  auxdir is puke puke puke
>
> Agreed.  I still like AC_CONFIG_SUPDIR better than
> AC_CONFIG_CONFIGDIR or AC_CONFIG_CFGDIR.

I do too.  Akim has already given examples of where the auxiliary
directory is used for more than just autoconfiguration so IMHO promoting
config/ isn't a fair use of the function.  If you want to promote
$ac_config_supdir/config/ as the directory of choice for
autoconfiguration files then that is fair use and I would promote that
use.  I chose the SUPDIR name based on the denotation of auxiliary so
that it would fit the original intention of use.  IMNSHO, I believe that
CONFIGDIR or CFGDIR is changing the intended use.

Earnie.