Re: autoconf auxdir

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: autoconf auxdir
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:45:04 -0400

Akim Demaille wrote:

> Earnie> Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> >> Agreed.  I still like AC_CONFIG_SUPDIR better than
> >> AC_CONFIG_CONFIGDIR or AC_CONFIG_CFGDIR.
> >>

> Earnie> I do too.  Akim has already given examples of where the
> Earnie> auxiliary directory is used for more than just
> Earnie> autoconfiguration so IMHO promoting config/ isn't a fair use
> Earnie> of the function.  If you want to promote
> Earnie> $ac_config_supdir/config/ as the directory of choice for
> Earnie> autoconfiguration files then that is fair use and I would
> Earnie> promote that use.
>
> Hm, I think I'm lost, or we don't talk about the same thing.  I'd like
> to promote config/ as the common AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR, i.e., using your
> vocabulary, $ac_config_supdir (which will remain as $ac_config_auxdir
> for backward compatibility) _is_ config.

Yes, we're talking about the same thing.  I think promoting the use of
config/ for autoconfiguration files is a good thing but not as the
default of AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR but rather in relation to the value of it.

> Earnie> I chose the SUPDIR name based on the denotation of auxiliary
> Earnie> so that it would fit the original intention of use.  IMNSHO, I
> Earnie> believe that CONFIGDIR or CFGDIR is changing the intended use.
>
> Are we talking about the same thing?  I'm referring to where
> mkinstalldirs, config.guess, etc. will be instead of the top level...

Yes I understand that.  However I can use AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR for support
and supplemental files that have no relation to autoconfiguration.  The
config/ rightly suggest that the directory contains only
autoconfiguration files.  So I'm suggesting that
$ac_config_auxdir/config/ is appropriate.

I.E.:

AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR(support) means that ./support/config/ contains the
configuration files if the directory exists otherwise ./support contains
them.

AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR() or not specified means that ./config/ contains the
configuration files if the directory exists otherwise ./ contains them.
NOTE: . is equivalent to SRCDIR.

Hmm..., we've switched subjects here; in light of this I think that
AC_CONFIG_SUPDIR is a better name for the directory than
AC_CONFIG_CFGDIR.

Earnie.