Re: Autoconf 2.52b released

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: Autoconf 2.52b released
Date: 02 Aug 2001 17:11:13 +0200

Am 01 Aug 2001 19:40:38 +0200 schrieb Akim Demaille:

> I've just uploaded Autoconf 2.52b (for Autoconf 2.52a was broken, of
> course...).
>
> It might seem a bit premature, but recently there have been dramatical
> changes in Autoconf:
>
> 1. The package layout has completely changed

AFAIS, aclocal still applies $PREFIX/aclocal. However, autoconf does not
put any files into it. I.e. when installing autoconf it does not
generate a $PREFIX/aclocal directory.

To make life easier for packagers (eg. when building rpms) I would
suggest to let installing autoconf create an empty $PREFIX/aclocal
directory.
 ..
> Basically you can consider 2.52b is nothing but 2.52 atop autom4te.
> But it requires extensive testing (aka, ``use it at your own risks'' :).
> I've been using it for a while, and seems to behaves properly.
> Please, as usual, torture it.

A nit in autoconf's interaction with automake:
automake does not know anything about autom4te.caches and therefore
misses to clean them up.
At least I would assume 'make clean' and/or 'make distclean' to rm -rf
them

Ralf

PS.: I agree with Lars J., the speed improvements are impressive at
first glance (not having tested autoconf-2.52b excessively, yet).