Re: Autoconf 2.52b released

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Autoconf 2.52b released
Date: 09 Aug 2001 12:46:53 +0200

>>>>> "Ralf" == Ralf Corsepius <address@hidden> writes:

Ralf> Am 09 Aug 2001 11:40:06 +0200 schrieb Akim Demaille:
> [...]
Ralf> Though I agree that it would be desirable to let autoconf do
Ralf> this cleanup, I fail to see how autoconf could do this job.
>> I thought several times about the fact that some clean up targets
>> should not be handled by the Makefile itself, but by the tool which
>> created them.
>>
>> Here, we should have something equivalent.

Ralf> May-be it's absurd, may-be it's an insight, may-be it's just
Ralf> rewording your thought: config.status --clean ?

It is neither, it's the prolongation of the same idea :)

autom4te.cache is really a maintainer byproduct, it is created by
autom4te, itself run by autoconf, autoheader, etc. so I was referring
to autoconf --clean.

But I agree distclean could happily use config.status this way!