Re: copyright notice on the 'INSTALL' file (proposed autoconf patch)

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: copyright notice on the 'INSTALL' file (proposed autoconf patch)
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 18:32:40 -0700 (PDT)

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 17:07:12 -0600 (MDT)
>
> The copyright notice and permission notice should not go in a separate
> section.  They should go in the standard place, on the page after the
> title page if there are such things, or just after the title and
> author attribution.

The INSTALL file does not have any of those things.  It launches
straight into the installation instructions without any title or author.
Perhaps you can look at the INSTALL file and propose a better place
for the copyright notice; that might be more efficient than
back-and-forth email like this.  Here's the URL for the source:

http://subversions.gnu.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/autoconf/doc/install.texi

Unfortunately this URL currently fails due to some problem at
subversions, so unfortunately I can't send you the current text.  I'll
CC this message to address@hidden to let them know that
subversions seems to be hosed.

PS to cvs-hackers: When I try to visit:

http://subversions.gnu.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/~checkout~/autoconf/doc/install.texi?rev=1.35&content-type=text/plain

I get the message

Error: Unexpected output from cvs co: cvs checkout: Sorry, you don't
have read/write access to the history file cvs [checkout aborted]:
/home/cvs/CVSROOT/history: Permission denied