Re: Learning Autoconf

From: akim
Subject: Re: Learning Autoconf
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 21:36:06 +0100

On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 07:49:28PM +0000, John Poltorak wrote:

> Yes, it does look useful, but it would be better if it included Autoconf
> v2.50.
> I would definitely buy the book if it did.

I find your words quite rude!

You don't seem to realize the amount of effort that was put in this,
you will never find a better presentation of the Gang Of Three all
together.  It's doesn't matter the version of Autoconf, not that
of Libtool, nor that Automake.  You are expected to be a programmer,
hence to be willing to learn the big picture, and then, we you
hit details, to do and read the product's documentation.

There will never ever a book as up to date as the documentation
(hm, I should revise Autoconf's documentation ;).  And that's simply
not the goal.

If I were you, I'd buy the book.  And read it.  And experience what
is presented in it.  Autoconf 2.5x is compatible with 2.13 if
you write proper Autoconf, and this book advocates the right Autoconf
writing.  Hence, if you learn what they teach, you learn perfectly
valid, nonobsolete, information.

Let me emphasize it again.

You will not find better material than this book to learn about the
GNU Build System.

You will never get better information about Automake, Autoconf, and Libtool
v x.xx than in the respective documentation of v x.xx.